Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry


I absolutely love Beef and Broccoli.  It is my go to Chinese takeout dish.  Since I have been watching what I eat, I have avoided Chinese.  So when I discovered the Weight Watcher Beef and Broccoli dish, I knew I had to make it.

For the recipe you will need:

2 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
¼ tsp table salt
¾ pounds uncooked lean trimmed sirloin beef, thinly sliced (I used stew meat that was already trimmed and sliced)
2 tsp canola oil
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
5 cups uncooked broccoli, florets
1Tbsp ginger root, fresh minced (I used ginger powder)
2 tsp minced garlic
¼ tsp red pepper flakes or to taste (I used black pepper)
¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
½ cup water


On a plate, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch and salt; add beef and toss to coat.



Heat oil in a large nonstick wok or large deep skillet over medium-high heat.  Add beef and stir-fry until lightly browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes; transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.



Add 1/2 cup broth to same pan; stir to loosen any bits on food on bottom of pan. Add broccoli; cover and cook, tossing occasionally and sprinkling with a tablespoon water if needed, until broccoli is almost crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. 


Uncover pan and add ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes; stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.



In a cup, stir together soy sauce, remaining 1/2 cup broth, remaining 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch and water until blended.  


Add the mixture to the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer; simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.



Return beef and accumulated juices to pan; toss to coat.

I served the beef and broccoli over a cup of white rice.  For 5 points you can have 1 1/4 cups of beef and broccoli.   

No comments:

Post a Comment