Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chicken Parmigiana


As I mentioned in my last post this week is pasta week.  The second great Weight Watcher recipe that I tried was the Weight Watcher Chicken Parmigiana.  After making this recipe, I must say it probably one of my favorite recipes.  The meal was so delicious and only 7 points for the piece of chicken and sauce.

For the recipe you will need:

3 spray olive oil cooking spray
1 pound uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 egg whites (lightly beaten)
½ cup dried plain bread crumbs (I used Italian Seasoned bread crumbs)
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning (since I used Italian Seasoned bread crumbs I didn’t use this)
½ tsp table salt, or to taste
1 tsp olive oil
1 ½ cup canned tomato sauce
½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (I used fat free)
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a large baking pan with cooking spray.


Place chicken between two sheets of wax paper; using a rolling pin, pound chicken to 1/4-inch thickness.


Place egg whites in a shallow bowl.  In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs with Italian seasoning and salt.  


Dip chicken in egg whites; turn to coat.  Dip chicken in bread crumb mixture; turn to thoroughly coat.


Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and add oil; heat over medium-high heat.  When hot, add chicken and cook until lightly browned and no longer pink in center, about 4 minutes per side (cook chicken in batches if necessary).



Pour 1/2 cup of sauce into prepared baking dish; place chicken in pan in a single layer. 


Pour remaining sauce evenly over chicken.


Sprinkle with both cheeses. 


Bake until chicken is cooked through and cheese is bubbly, about 25 minutes.  Yields 1 piece of chicken per serving.  I served the Weight Watchers Chicken Parmigiana over whole wheat pasta (making the point total 11 points).



No comments:

Post a Comment