Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Coconut Shrimp


 I absolutely love seafood!  I love seafood grilled, broiled, and fried but fried seafood is off the menu.  But that doesn't mean I can't have food that tastes fired that isn't.  So when I discovered the Weight Watcher Coconut Shrimp I knew I had to try it. 

For the Coconut Shrimp, you will need:

2 sprays cooking spray
2 large egg whites
¾ cup all-purpose flour
6 oz beer (or about 2/3 cup)
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp table salt
2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
24 large uncooked shrimp (make sure they are peeled and deveined) but leave the tails on

First preheat the oven to 450 and coat cooking sheets with the cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, 1/2 cup of flour, beer, baking powder and salt.


 Place remaining 1/4 cup of flour and coconut in two separate shallow bowls.  I then set up an assembly line to coat the shrimp.


Holding shrimp by their tails, dredge each shrimp in flour and shake off any excess.  Dip flour-coated shrimp into egg batter and allow excess to drip off.  Roll shrimp in coconut and turn to coat both sides (press coconut onto shrimp to make it stick).  I found that the coconut stuck really well and coated the shrimp thoroughly. 

Transfer shrimp to prepared baking sheet and spray surface of shrimp with cooking spray


Bake until coconut is golden brown and shrimp are bright pink and cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes.

For 4 points you can have 4 shrimp.  I paired the Coconut Shrimp with white rice and pineapple salsa.  The Coconut Shrimp was absolutely delicious.  It tasted like Coconut Shrimp you would get at a restaurant and will definitely be cooked again at my household.

No comments:

Post a Comment