Monday, March 12, 2012

Herb-Crusted Roast Beef and Vegetables



Every time I try to be healthy, I crave beef.  I grew up on a farm and beef was a huge staple.  So I wanted to find a beef recipe that was healthy but delicious.  So when I discovered the Weight Watcher Herb-Crusted Roast Beef and Vegetables for only eight points I knew I had to try it.

The recipe was easy and delicious.  You will need:

1 cup parsley, leaves
¼ cup chives, coarsely chopped (I used green onions
1 Tbsp rosemary
2 cloves garlic cloves minced
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp table salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 – 2 pound boneless eye roast
4 tsp olive oil
2 ½ pounds uncooked red potatoes (I used Russets instead)
2 pounds uncooked zucchini, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (I didn’t use zucchini because I don’t like it)
2 medium uncooked onions, cut into eighths
½ pound uncooked baby carrots (since I didn’t use zucchini I added more carrots)

Preheat the oven to 450 and spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray.  I then trimmed the fat from the beef.


 Next mince the parsley, chives, and rosemary together. In a large bowl, combine the herbs with the garlic, mustard, salt, and pepper.


Place the beef in the roasting pan. Rub 2 tablespoons of the herb mixture over the top and sides of the beef. 


Stir the oil into the remaining herb mixture. Add the potatoes, zucchini, onions, and carrots to the bowl and toss well.

Arrange the vegetables in a single layer around the meat in the roasting pan. (If you can’t fit all the vegetables in a single layer, use a separate pan to roast the remainder.)



Place the roasting pan in the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350°F

Roast the meat and vegetables, stirring and turning the vegetables occa­sion­ally, until the vegetables are tender and the beef reaches an internal temperature of 140°F for medium-rare, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. 

I took the vegetables out after an hour of cooking and let the beef cook for about an 1 hour and 5 minutes.  The beef was tender and the veggies were delicious.  For eight points, I ate 4 ounces of the beef and a cup of the potatoes.  The recipe was really filling and definitely helps with my beef craving.  I plan to make these vegetables on their own in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment